Citizen Radio Types in USA
- Family (no license needed, limited to line of sight)
- GMRS (easy 10 year license, no exam, fee $70±)
- CB: no license, private and commercial
- Ham (Amateur): License and Exam required. Non-commercial
This page specializes in Ham because of its long history of public service and robust community support, couple with a large network of repeaters that gives multi-state and international coverage.
- Handhelds from $30, local
(but budget $100 minimum for spares, batteries, antenna upgrades) 4-8 watts
- Camping, Traveling, Safety
- Hand held and mobile: Local and Regional, 25,35,45,50 watts
- Home Office: Higher power, greater range, Worldwide
- Amazon – reviews over 100 are usually valuable no matter where you buy
- Ed’s Antennas (eBay)
- Global Supply Store
- RT#M – don’t throw away your manual!
- Radio Memory Channel Programming
- Repeater databases – sources on web, iphone, android
- San Diego Repeater Ass’n
- Technician – UHF, VHF
- Your local Ham “Net” group – google by city or zip
- ARRL referral.
⚪︎ Find ARRL classes.
⚪︎ Local Groups by Zip Code
- Online License Prep Classes
- Listening, Scanning
- Shifting between A/B receivers
- Weekly “Nets” in your neighborhood
- Microphone tips, hints, errors
Ham Clubs – add your favorite here!
- San Diego
- East County: PARC
- North County
- Del Mar
- Escondido: EARS
- South County
- Chula Vista, National City: SOBARS
- Las Vegas
- Orange County, Los Angeles, Ventura