Web Testing Scope and Browser Market Share

TechCrunch article on the latest Browser Market Share… to help define Web Testing scope, courtesy of Qualcomm’s QBAT

Browser Market Share from techcrunch.com

Browser Market Share from techcrunch.com

• IE on decline, now under 50% share
  • Chrome on the rise: now at 11.5% share

“As IE has been falling, rivals Firefox, Chrome, and Safari have been rising. But while both Firefox and Safari have had various growth spurts throughout the past two years, Chrome is the clear winner. The browser has gone from 1 percent of the market two years ago, to 11.5 percent last month. That places it well ahead of the older Safari (at 4.4 percent) and only behind Firefox (at 31.5 percent) and IE.”

On TechCrunch’s own site the numbers are different…probably due to its readers being more technology leaders.

• 15.65% is Safari
  • 12.77% is IE

“The numbers are clear: Firefox is in trouble. It has been the top browser since we began using Google Analytics to record stats back in 2007. By 2008, it was nearly 25 percentage points ahead of the next closest rival, Internet Explorer. As of yesterday, it stood just 3 percentage points ahead of the next closest rival, Chrome.”

This entry was posted in QA. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Web Testing Scope and Browser Market Share

1. Arletta says:

Hi! Is it okay if I go a bit off topic? I’m trying to view your post on my Mac but it doesn’t display properly, any suggestions? You can always email me at ucklin@gmail.com Thank you for the help I hope! Arletta

• admin says:

You’re my first guinea pig …. (the small cute furry kind) … is this page Mac-friendly or “hostile”? Are you using Safari? Any help I can give you, will also help me make the site better,
      Thanks for the comment!
      -allan

2. admin says:

Now why would two seemingly different people Shan Lanzarin and Ima Bingle have exactly the same message, same typo, and same link to yahoo’s main page … Must say you fooled me!

3. admin says:

Hi,
    1. You can keep track of various items of interest by using RSS feeds but
    2. It may be easier to make bookmarks – if you put Dates in their Name (and with TAGS or useful FolderNames) you can review and delete obsolete items
    3. You can “Save As” in various formats (IE lets you “Save As” MHT which saves pictures and format in one simple file)
    4. You can “Print to PDF” with various free and cheap tools like PDF995

4. admin says:

I believe it may be easier to understand if we don’t use the word “market share.”

The word “market share” in this case may be confusing since browsers are “free” .. but in fact
    if you were Microsoft or Firefox (Mozilla) you would compete aggressively to stay near the top!
    In order that the “runners” in this “browser race” can keep score and know “who is winning”, they make a simple survey.

Let’s pretend you have asked 1000 or 100 or 100,000 people
    “What browser[s] do you use and What percentage of the time?”
    My answer would be
    “Internet Explorer 30% and Firefox 70%”
    Add up another 100 or 1000 peoples’ answers and then they can put their measurement
    into a PICTURE (a pie graph or a line graph) just like you see in the article.

5. Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!

• admin says:

I have a friend who has been a veterinary nurse or EMT or whatever for years. The stories I hear would fill a blog and be of great interest to ept owners. I’ll happily send him your link. Not really related to software testing but an EXCELLENT exercise in real Quality Assurance.

6. admin says:

I download the themes from within WordPress directly … there are others, but I try to find those with highest number of happy users.

Get New Themes
    The WordPress Theme Directory is the official site for WordPress Themes which have been checked and inspected, and are free for downloading. The site features the ability to search by type and style, and offers a demonstration of the page view elements of the Theme.
    The last 2 days I used “Atahualpa 3.4.9 by BytesForAll” which is probably the one you referred to.
    It is the most full featured and customizable.

BUT this version has a bug that erased one page when I tried to edit it, and would not edit any other pages…

So it’s a trial and error experiment to find the one that is professional, readily editable, and bugfree.

7. admin says:

Pretty snazzy implementation on your site.
    Yours is not directly related to QA, but certainly an important, “life and death” service.
    I’m still experimenting, and am no critic, but that doesn’t stop me.
    I think your layout is kind of compact, a bit crowded and “busy” but has the advantage of requiring less navigating and mouse-clicking than mine.

8. admin says:

I used first Simplex now PrimePress 1.4.1 by Ravi Varma … I’ve replaced a few of the stock rotating photo / banners and moved the search field up into the banner. That’s all: it’s very simple.